Member profile: Juanita Sands
Name: Juanita Sands
Employer: Deloitte Private Pty Ltd
Position: Senior Analyst
Throughout my education I always had a passion for maths and not much else besides reading. My high school teachers loved telling me I should do something like accounting when I grew up, but being a teenager who did the opposite of what teachers said there was no way I was going to become something boring like an accountant. After starting a maths, psych and law degree, I ultimately ended up at TAFE doing an office administration certificate and loved the accounting subjects and have not looked back since.
I have now been in accounting for over 15 years and am a single mum to a gorgeous and smart college student and have worked full time since she was in primary school and part time while studying before that. Work and life balance can be a juggle but is very rewarding being a mum, while working full time.
I am currently completing The Tax Institute’s Graduate Diploma of Applied Tax Law and enrolled in the Advanced Superannuation, with Corporate Tax next semester being my last subject. The Graduate Diploma has been good to cement the knowledge that I already have.
Describe your current role:
I am currently a senior analyst with Deloitte, having moved to Deloitte in January 2014 after spending 12 years at another local accounting firm.
My current role is very broad and diverse. I work in the areas of
- business advisory services – working with small to medium
- tax review of large corporate clients for our audit team, some of whom are listed
- tax provisions for large and listed corporations
- provide advice for and oversee half of our local office’s self-managed superannuation funds tax advice for our office on a range of areas. To name a few
- Small business CGT concessions – this and super are on of the greatest tax advantages for small business’
- Employee benefits - eligible termination payments, fringe benefits, employee allowances
- Research & Development
- Accessibility of grant income
- Taxation of trust income
- Deceased Estates
- Member of the Victorian Tax Technical Committee
- Young Tax Professionals – Northern Tasmania tax discussion group