Now that the whirlwind of Budget week has passed, there is an opportunity to reflect on the implications of the measures announced in the Federal Budget 2020–21. To help tax professionals, the below summary contains a series of practical reference tables to assist in applying the new Budget measures.
A number of the key tax measures are contained in the Treasury Laws Amendment (A Tax Plan for the COVID-19 Economic Recovery) Act 2020 (the Budget Act) which was passed by the Parliament on 9 October 2020, just two days after the Bill’s introduction into the House of Representatives. The Bill was enacted on 14 October 2020 as Act No. 92 of 2020.
The key measures discussed in this summary are:
- Personal income tax cuts — Schedule 1 to the Budget Act
- Expanded access to small business tax concessions — Schedule 3 to the Budget Act
- Full expensing of depreciating assets — Schedule 7 to the Budget Act
- Temporary loss carry back — Schedule 2 to the Budget Act
- Changes to the R&D tax offset — Schedules 4–6 to the Budget Act
- CGT exemption for eligible granny flat arrangements.
Members can access the Federal Budget 2020–21: practical insights summary for free by logging into their member portal.
We’ve made insights on both the Full expensing of depreciating assets and Temporary loss carry back into handy Infographics.
Please note: a factual error in the Full expensing of depreciating assets infographic was corrected on 27 October 2020.
Please note: the Loss carry back infographic was updated on 17 November 2020
More about the 2020–21 Federal Budget.
Not a member yet?
Sign up for a 2 month free trial and you'll not only get access to the Federal Budget 2020–21: practical insights summary, but to a host of other member benefits, including:
- Weekly updates on issues, case law and tax news in our indispensable TaxVine Newsletter.
- The best in tax technical analysis and thought leadership through our monthly Taxation in Australia
- Frequent updates from our tax experts, untangling new legislation and personally answering your tax technical questions.
- Member prices on our range of leading webinar series, online conferences and virtual events.
- Insights and valuable CPD hours with a Tax Update Presentation and Special Topic Paper from a leading expert each month.
- A network of like-minded, generous tax practitioners who can help you grow and build a career you are proud of.