For more than three months, Australia has been ravaged by catastrophic fires and these have escalated to unchartered levels recently. We have already witnessed the tragic loss of lives, properties, wildlife and livelihoods with more devastation expected. Our thoughts are with all our members and the wider community, particularly those that have been directly impacted by these recent events.
Here are a range of resources available to help you, your clients and communities through the recovery where needed.
General resources to help you and your clients
- The Australian Tax Office has a dedicated page offering support for impacted areas with lodgement and payment deferral dates. You can also phone them on 1800 806 218
- Banks stand ready to help customers impacted by bushfires. Read this article from the Australian Banking Association
- Financial assistance options are available from the Federal Government including the Disaster Recovery Allowance.
- Beyond Blue support service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to support the mental health of people affected by the bushfires on 1300 22 4636.
- Beyond Blue also has free information resources online. Emotional responses after a disaster has information about normal responses to disasters, what’s beyond a normal response and some tips on dealing with the emotional impact of a disaster. More detailed information is available in the booklet Looking after yourself and your family after a disaster
- Assistance can be provided from charities including Lifeline, Red Cross and Salvation Army.
- State support available for NSW, QLD, VIC, SA and TAS communities affected by the bushfires.
Make a donation
It is during times like these we often draw on the strength of our community and peers. If you want to show your support by donating, below are links to the local State fire services:
- NSW Rural Fire Service
- QLD Fire and Rescue
- SA Country Fire Service
- VIC Country Fire Authority
- Tasmania Fire Service
- Western Australia
Help those affected
- The Salvation Army
- Australian Red Cross
- Gippsland Emergency Relief
- NSW Rural Fire Service - appeal for families of volunteer firefighters
Help the wildlife
Please continue to stay alert and remain safe.